Are you the dazzling new Chefs we need to help us re-launch Milk & Honey and transition The Well into a bright new future?
Chef (2 roles)
Salary: £9.5k with a defined contribution pension scheme.
Holidays: 10 days, plus pro rata public holidays.
Contract Type: Permanent (2 month probationary period).
Hours of work: Half Time – 20 hours per week (hours to be agreed with successful candidates).
Normal place of work: Milk & Honey café, St Peters House, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9GH.
Our new chefs will embrace the vision for Milk & Honey, enjoying working alongside people of all abilities and backgrounds and be proper people-people as well as top class cooks. We like our full team to be flexible, so a willingness to step out of kitchen and talk to customers front-of-house is important too. A good understanding of the opportunities and challenges created by working within a charity and with volunteer staff will be essential, alongside being fully compliant at all times with all food documentation, hygiene and regulatory requirements.
Key responsibilities: Food and Menu
- To prepare consistently excellent food for service in Milk & Honey, following specifications and recipes developed by our Head Chef and contributing to the formulation of new recipes as requested.
- To support in all aspects of The Well’s food provision. This will include planning and ordering for Well Packs, cooking for pre-frozen meals, ensuring adequate levels of stock through monitoring levels and ordering, communicating with suppliers and the wider team, and overseeing and supporting in the packing of bags for collection by service users.
- To assist the Head Chef with ordering and menu planning for all weekly operations.
Teaching, Training and Volunteers
- To form part of our Cookery Skills teaching team – hosting Cookery Classes in the Milk & Honey kitchen to build cookery skills and confidence amongst The Well service users, Milk & Honey volunteers and other members of our community.
- To oversee, supervise and support volunteers in the Milk & Honey kitchen and The Well. This will involve working with a diverse group of people with varying abilities and needs.
- To teach volunteers new skills required to perform their roles through on-the-job work experience and effective demonstrations.
Safety and Compliance
- To ensure, alongside the Head Chef and wider team, that all HACCP requirements are consistently and diligently met – including all relevant documentation and safety standards relating to food, accurate allergy reporting, and the preparation/working environment.
- Immediate reporting of any concerns of problems to the Head Chef and/or Café Manager. This would include any issues that may arise in the café, maintenance or function of equipment, or challenges with the volunteer team.
- To support in developing projects that further the objectives of St Peter’s House, and add value to the volunteer experience. These may include one-off events or new strands of or existing work.
- To cover all duties normally assigned to the Head Chef in their absence.
- Additional duties and hours as agreed in advance with the Head Chef and the Director of Development and Engagement. This may include some Front-of-House duties to cover for other staff, including customer service, point-of-sale and coffee machine work. (Barista training can be provided if required.)
To find out more then please download the application pack